1) Create New Machine.
2) If you are using VirtualBox 3.1.0 or earlier versions, then you can’t find Windows 2008 R2 OS as guest OS, so select Windows 2008 64 Bit. Later versions have 2008 R2 64 Bit selection.
3) Set memory size to 1024MB, and create a new hard disk with 20GB space
Select Dynamically Expanding storage option. Set the disk size and location of disk file in next screen.
4) Press Finish to complete disk creation and virtual machine creation.
5) Click on storage option in virtual machine configuration settings.
6) Press ‘Empty’ IDE controller as mentioned below to insert Installation DVD or ISO image. If you have installation DVD, then insert it to host DVD drive select ‘Host Drive- Drive letter’ mentioned below. So when you boot Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine, it will read your host physical DVD drive. Here, I have ISO file and mounting it by clicking on Folder arrow button.
7) Make sure following settings are correct under system setting of virtual machine. Click on System to view the settings.
Processor – 1 and Enable PAE/NX enabled.
Hardware Virtualization Enable VT-x/AMD-V should be enabled.
8) Now start the Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine in VirtualBox.
Installation will go smoothly if all settings are correct. I’m not explaining any installation steps.
9) As usual, VirtualBox worked very faster and installation finished very quickly. The working Windows server 2008 R2 on VirtualBox is below.
10) Install VirtualBox additions to get better mouse integration, display settings, folder share, network speed and more. It’s always recommended to install or update VirtualBox additions in virtual machines. Restart the virtual machine after VirtualBox additions installation.
There you go, R2 64 Bit Server operating is now on your computer by X86 Sun VirtualBox. Enable seamless mode of virtual machine, so you can work on Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine from host OS desktop.